How to Install AnyDesk Remote Connection Software
AnyDesk is a remote connection software program that is free for personal use. You will need to install the software on your office computer and on your home computer. Here are the instructions for how to install the software:
- Click this link to access the page on AnyDesk’s website where you can download the software for various operating systems. When the page appears, you’ll see that the Windows operating system is highlighted in orange. If your computer runs on a different operating system, click the appropriate operating system from the list that appears to the right of Windows.
- Click the orange Download Now button at the top of the window. The program should immediately begin to download unless you have the setting in your browser set to ask you where you want the file saved to.
- Once the software has downloaded, you will receive notification at the bottom of your desktop window. Open the file and confirm that you want to run the file.
- You will now see the main window of the software. At the top of the window you will see the text Your Address followed by nine digits in red font. Record the nine-digit number that appears in red as this is the number that you will need to enter in the AnyDesk software on your home computer in order to be able to connect to your work computer from home.
- Click on the series of four horizontal lines in the far upper right corner of the AnyDesk window. Select Settings. On the left side of the window, select Security and then Permissions. On the right side of the window under the Permissions section, look for the box Enable unattended access and check the box. Click the button below that reads Set password for unattended access and enter a password that is at least eight characters in length. Record the password as you will need to enter this when you want to access your office computer from home. To exit the Settings/Security window, click the small x that appears at the top of the window within the tab that features the wrench and the word Settings.
- If you would like to create an icon for the AnyDesk software on your computer’s desktop, go to the folder where the software was downloaded to such as the Downloads folder. Right-click the AnyDesk.exe file and select Send to – Desktop. You should then find the AnyDesk icon which is an orange square with a white triangle in the centre on your computer’s desktop.
- Leave your office computer on and the AnyDesk software open so that you will be able to connect to it from home. Take the nine-digit number you recorded in step #4 above and the password you recorded under step #5 above home with you.
- Repeat steps 1, 2, 3 and 6 to install AnyDesk on your home computer.
- NOTE: For your home computer: If you would like anything that you choose to print on your office computer to print to the printer you use at home, click the series of four horizontal lines in the upper right corner of the AnyDesk window on your home computer and select Settings. On the left side of the window under Settings, click Printer. On the right side of the window under Outgoing Print Jobs, click Install AnyDesk Printer. Under the Incoming Print Jobs section, select Execute using the following printer and select the printer that you use at home. You can then click the box Automatically execute incoming print jobs using the chosen printer if you want. To exit the Settings/Security window, click the small x that appears at the top of the window within the tab that features the wrench and the word Settings.
How to Use AnyDesk Remote Connection Software
- Open the AnyDesk software on your home computer.
- At the top of the window, there should be a field that contains the words Enter Remote Address. Enter the nine-digit ID for your office computer’s AnyDesk software within this field and click the second arrow on the far right at the end of the field to connect to your office computer.
- You will now receive a message that the software is connecting.
- Enter the unattended access password when prompted by the software.
- Once the software has connected, you should see the desktop of your office computer. You can minimize (make sure not to close it!) the AnyDesk software window on the office computer to get it out of the way and you can then access whatever programs or files you want on the office computer.
- Once you have finished working for the day, leave the AnyDesk window minimized at the bottom of the office computer’s desktop (make sure not to close it!) and do not shut down the office computer.
- Close the AnyDesk software window on your home computer.