How to Install TeamViewer Portable
TeamViewer is a remote connection software that is free for personal use that many of you are probably already familiar with. However, the version that you will need to put on your home desktop or laptop computer AND on your computer at work is different from the TeamViewer support version that you might already have on your work computer. The version you need to put on both computers is called TeamViewer Portable. You can find the link to download the software by doing the following:
- Click this link to download the TeamViewer Portable file for Windows. Options for Mac, Linux, as well as for the Android and iOS operating systems can be found along the top menu bar.
- Your computer will ask you to choose where you want to save the file to. The default option is usually the Downloads folder on your computer, so you can leave this as the location if you want.
- Once the software has downloaded, you will receive notification at the bottom of your desktop window and you can open the file. You will now see a window containing all of the TeamViewer Portable files. Click on the option at the top of the window that reads Extract All Files. If you do not see this option, you may be using another program to manage compressed files; please extract the files as you normally do.
- When you go to your Downloads folder (or the folder you extracted the files to) on your computer, you will see a yellow folder (it will not have a zipper on it) marked TeamViewerPortable. Double-click the folder to open it.
- You will now see all of the TeamViewer Portable files again. Double-click the file marked TeamViewer.exe. Do not click the file marked TeamViewer_Desktop.exe.
- Click Run.
- You will now see the TeamViewer window that displays Your ID and Password. You must record Your ID and Password because you will need this information in order to be able to log in to your work computer from home.
On your last day of work before your office shuts down, make sure to leave your computer on and the same window for TeamViewer Portable that you saw in the last step above open. Do not change any of the options on the window; leave everything as it is. Take the TeamViewer Portable ID number and password you recorded home with you and repeat the first six steps above on your home computer.
Once the TeamViewer Portable software has been installed on your home computer, you can connect to your work computer by doing the following:
- On the right side of the TeamViewer Portable window on your home computer is the heading Control Remote Computer. Enter the ID number of your work computer where it reads Partner ID.
- Leave the selection beneath the Partner ID set to Remote control.
- Click the Connect button. You will now be prompted to enter the TeamViewer password for the work computer. Type the password exactly as you recorded it (it is case sensitive) and press ENTER.
- You will now see the desktop of your work computer and you can access whatever programs or documents that you need, including the GWA-OW Calculator software. If you decide to print something, the document will print to the printer that is attached to your work computer.
- When you are finished using your work computer for the day, you can close the TeamViewer Portable connection on your home computer. Make absolutely certain that you are closing the TeamViewer Portable connection on your home computer and not on your work computer! The window for TeamViewer Portable on your work computer can be left minimized at the bottom of the screen as it must be left running in order for you to connect to your work computer the next day.