How to Install TeamViewer Full Client Remote Connection Software
TeamViewer Full Client is a remote connection software program that is free for personal use that many of you are probably already familiar with. However, the version that you will need to put on your home desktop or laptop computer AND on your computer at work is different from the TeamViewer Quick Support version that you might already have on your office computer. The version you need to put on both computers is called TeamViewer Full Client.
NOTE: You must now set up an account to use the TeamViewer Full Client software. The account is free, but there are several steps involved in setting up the account which are included within the instructions below. You also won’t be able to send print jobs from your office computer to your home printer when you use the free version of TeamViewer Full Client.
We strongly recommend that you consider using the free remote connection software AnyDesk instead as it’s easier to install and it will allow you to send print jobs from your office computer to your home printer. The installation instructions for AnyDesk can be found here.
Here are the instructions for how to install the TeamViewer Full Client software on your office computer. Please read the instructions in their entirety before beginning the process!
- Click this link to reach the page on TeamViewer’s website that provides links to download the various TeamViewer versions for Windows. Options for Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, Raspberry Pi as well as for the Android and iOS operating systems can be found along the top menu bar.
- Look for TeamViewer Full Client. Click the button for x86-64bit. The program will automatically begin to download in the lower left side of your desktop window. Once the program has finished downloading, click the file to start the installation process.
- The TeamViewer Setup window will now appear. Proceed with the Default Installation and click the Accept – next button at the bottom of the window. Windows will then ask if you want to allow the program (TeamViewer) to make changes to the computer. Answer Yes.
- You will now see the TeamViewer login window. Click the option for Don’t have an account? Create one here. to create an account. You can create an account using your name and email. You can also choose to set up an account by logging in with your Microsoft or Gmail account.
- Once you’ve set up and verified your new TeamViewer account, you will be taken to the TeamViewer login window again. Note that if you end up closing the TeamViewer window by accident, you can find the software on your computer’s desktop as an icon is automatically installed on the desktop during the installation process. The TeamViewer icon is a navy blue square with a white circle inside it. The icon will also have the label TeamViewer. Log into the software.
- You will now see the homepage for the TeamViewer program with the Getting Started options. Click the option on the right side of the window for Set up remote access. Assign your office computer a name when prompted. Setting up the office computer for remote access will allow you to connect to it from home without the need to have one of your co-workers in the office present to accept the connection on your computer.
- TeamViewer will now prompt you to allow TeamViewer to automatically start on the office computer once the computer is turned on. As the message states, the TeamViewer application needs to be on on the office computer in order for you to connect to it from home. Click the button Start TeamViewer with System if you would like the program to start automatically once your office computer has been turned on. If you change your mind, you can always turn off this setting later by clicking the Settings icon (the icon featuring the gear symbol) on the lower left side of the TeamViewer software. Select Your Device to view the settings and turn off the auto-start feature.
- From the homepage of the software, click the icon on the left side of the window that shows the image of two arrows. When you hover over the icon, the label reads Remote Support. You need to record your office computer’s TeamViewer ID and password. To find this information, look for the sentence Prefer the Classic TeamViewer ID and password? that appears at the bottom of the window. Click the words Connect here. You will now see the Connect with ID window. Under the Your credentials section, record Your ID and Your Password. You can also use the copy icon (the icon of the two pages) that appears at the end of the row to copy the info to paste into a document if you want. You must record your office computer’s TeamViewer ID and password because you will need this information in order to be able to log into your office computer from home! Close the Connect with ID window once you’ve recorded the information.
- Leave your office computer on and the TeamViewer window open. Take the TeamViewer ID number and password you recorded home with you.
- NOTE: Repeat steps 1-5 above to install TeamViewer Full Client on your home computer.
How to Use TeamViewer Full Client
Once the TeamViewer Full Client software has been installed on your home computer, you can connect to your office computer by doing the following:
- Double-click the TeamViewer icon on your home computer’s desktop and log in.
- From the homepage of the software, click the icon on the left side of the window that shows the image of two arrows. When you hover over the icon, the label reads Remote Support.
- You will now be on the Remote Sessions window. Look for the sentence Prefer the Classic TeamViewer ID and password? that appears at the bottom of the window. Click the words Connect here.
- On the Connect with ID window, enter the TeamViewer ID for your office computer within the field where it reads Participant’s ID and click the Connect button.
- Enter the password for the office computer when prompted. If your office computer is on and the TeamViewer software is open, you will now see the desktop of your office computer.
- When you are finished using your office computer for the day, you can close the TeamViewer connection on your home computer. Make absolutely certain that you are closing the TeamViewer connection on your home computer and not on your office computer! The window for TeamViewer software on your office computer can be left minimized at the bottom of the screen as it must be left running in order for you to connect to your office computer the next day. Do not shut down your office computer.